Phoenix, AZ—As the first female Maricopa County Attorney, Allister Adel has focused on changing the culture of the county attorney’s office since her tenure began.
Allister believes ethical and responsible use of the prosecutor’s power begins with character-driven leadership. It is doing the right thing, for the right reasons; every time.
“Allister’s priority is to ensure ethical excellence, to protect the rights of victims and hold criminals accountable, while being just and reasonable,” said Lorna Romero, spokeswoman for the Allister Adel for Maricopa County Attorney Campaign. “Allister has made it abundantly clear that there is zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior in the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office. Restoring public trust in the criminal justice system is why Allister sought this office and her record of accomplishments prove that she is the right person for the job.”
In less than a year, Allister has taken bold steps to toward smart justice and keeping families safe:
- Elimination of $630 diversion program fee
- Creation of a robust, evidence-based diversion program that addresses the specific underlying behaviors and conditions that affect criminal behavior
- Public records process improvements by eliminating the backlog and reformed the process to reduce response time for records
- Creation of a public-facing dashboard with data about cases submitted to the office by law enforcement, cases filed, diverted and dismissed, and demographic information
- Changes to plea policies to better assess the circumstances of individual defendants and promote a “treatment first” approach to drug possession cases
- Established the first ever Home Detention Program in Maricopa County
- Added community members to the Critical Incident Review Committee
- Creation of the Conviction Integrity Unit to investigate claims of innocence, potential inappropriate police conduct and other allegations of prosecutorial unfairness
- Established Community and Business Advisory Boards to receive input from the community on important issues
To learn more, visit: www.Allisteradel.com
About Allister Adel:
Allister Adel was appointed by the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors in October 2019 to Maricopa County Attorney. A former prosecutor, administrative law judge, and advocate for children and public safety officers, Adel is a champion of victims’ rights. Adel is seeking a full term as County Attorney in November 2020.