Allister is a character-driven leader who demonstrates ethical excellence every day.
- Character-driven Leadership
- Focus on ethical decision-making each day
- Zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior
- Placing experienced leaders in supervisory roles
- Protecting Taxpayers Dollars
- Reducing unnecessary spending and removing redundancies from our office
- Transparency & Collaboration
- Public records process improvements by eliminating the backlog and reformed the process to reduce response time for records
- Creation of public-facing dashboard with data about cases submitted to MCAO by law enforcement, cases filed, diverted and dismissed by MCAO, and demographic information
- Lifted previous directive to law enforcement to not release body-worn camera footage
- Increased communication and coordination with law enforcement to ensure due process
- Collaboration with community
- Established a Business Advisory Group and Community Advisory Group to create a forum for discussions and new ideas
CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
Allister is a compassionate but firm prosecutor who understands prosecutors wield great power.
She believes this community needs smart justice that ensures the most dangerous offenders are held accountable but those who want to “do better and be better” are given the opportunity and provided the resources necessary to do so.
She believes in supporting opportunities for individuals to return to the workplace, support their families, contribute to society.
- Expand and Improve Diversion Programs
- Look at the offender and not just the offense and remove financial requirements to participate in process
- Directed my team to establish the new Felony Diversion Program to provide an alternative for those facing criminal prosecution
- More than 1,300 individuals facing criminal prosecution in Maricopa County have been referred to the county’s new Felony Diversion Program, allowing people to receive treatment in place of prosecution
- Sentencing Reform
- The amount of time a person is sentenced is set by state statute, originally enacted in 1994
- Lead a review of sentencing guidelines and work with legislature to update statutes
- Sensible Arizona Expungement Laws
- Discuss the creation of sensible expungement laws in Arizona
- Enhanced Oversight of Critical Incidents involving First Responders
- Add a citizen representative to the Critical Incident Review Committee
- Home Detention Program
- The home detention program allows a DUI defendant, following an initial mandatory period in custody, to serve the remainder of the sentence on home detention
- A home detention sentence requires either GPS monitoring and a breathalyzer or continuous alcohol monitoring
- This reduces costs for Maricopa County in terms of fewer inmates for self-surrender, intake, and incidentals during custody.
- An estimated 200 to 300 individuals each year will be eligible for the program.
- Allows defendants to continue with school or work while serving sentence without having to administer and supervise jail work release programs.
KEEPING FAMILIES SAFE
Allister has a track record in this community for being involved and engaged. She is a Rotarian and active in numerous non-profit organizations.
She is the mother of two school-age boys and understands the challenges and fears facing parents and members of this community when it comes to safety of kids and older adults.
Allister’s priority is to hold criminals accountable, protect the rights of crime victims and keep families safe.
As a prosecutor, Allister wants to educate the community so they do not become victims of crime and help raise awareness for families who have loved ones that may be susceptible to criminal behaviors.
- Resources for Parents: Educate parents about drug abuse, vaping, bullying.
- Protecting the Vulnerable: Raise awareness about domestic violence, child abuse, human trafficking, and resources for those in need.
- Preventing Fraud: Inform the general public about frauds, scams and white-collar crimes to high-risk groups like retirement centers and traditional civic organizations